|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Gluten-free and dairy-free Irish soda bread is adapted from a recipe by Connie Sarros, "Leprechaun Bread," which appears in her cookbook, Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Reduced-Calorie Cookbook. This recipe makes a light, classic loaf of Irish soda bread with terrific flavor and texture.
If you tolerate dairy foods and can find it, serve this gluten-free Irish soda bread with Kerry Gold butter—the rich, deep yellow, super creamy butter from Ireland.
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (plus 2 to 3 tablespoons more to shape dough)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or 1 tablespoon honey)
- 1 tablespoon margarine (cold dairy-free butter substitute, cut into small pieces, see note)
- 1/2 cup currants (or raisins)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon light coconut milk (canned, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons to brush on loaf before baking)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (gluten-free)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Pour into a medium mixing bowl.
Use hands to work cold butter substitute into flour mixture. Add currants.
Add cider vinegar to coconut milk and pour into dry ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer to thoroughly blend.
Add mayonnaise and lightly beaten eggs and mix just until combined. Add baking soda and mix to combine.
Turn the thick, sticky batter onto a floured cutting board and shape the loaf into a round ball, about 6 inches in diameter.
Use a sharp knife to cut an "X" on the top of the loaf.
Brush with coconut milk and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Brush with coconut milk again.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the loaf is golden and done.
- The key to preventing stickiness while shaping the bread loaf is to liberally flour a large cutting board (work surface) with gluten-free flour mix or white rice flour. Keep hands and loaf lightly floured while shaping!