There are dozens of versions of this popular low carb, coffee-mug-microwave, ground flax muffin recipe online, and I thank my friend Paulette for telling me about this intriguing recipe. I've tweaked the original recipe a bit with a goal of making this delicious muffin with a healthy dose of ground flax seeds and extra virgin coconut oil.
What I love about the ground flax microwave muffin recipe is how healthy the ingredients are (gluten, dairy, and grain free!) and how incredibly easy these "miracle" muffins are to make. This muffin is large, light and moist. Most of the flax muffin recipes I've encountered online call for 4 tablespoons of ground flax. If eaten in one serving, this amount can potentially cause digestive distress, especially in newly diagnosed, recovering celiacs.
The Flax Council of Canada recommends one to two tablespoons of ground flax eaten daily "is likely to achieve the health benefits reported in clinical studies." This recommendation is based on the amount of the omega 3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid in two tablespoons of ground flax.
This muffin calls for one teaspoon of cane sugar and stevia added to taste. It is sweet enough for my taste buds, but you can feel free to add or reduce the cane sugar and stevia to your personal tastes. If you choose to make an all stevia recipe, you can reduce the carbs by about 4 grams. This would be ideal for diabetics or those strictly counting carbohydrate intake.
Cook's Note: Stevia is available in different forms. This recipe was prepared using KAL brand Pure Stevia Extract Powder. This brand is available at health food stores and online and does not contain fillers.
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten with a fork)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sugar (organic cane)
- 2 servings stevia (or to taste — see Cook's note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 pinch salt (sea)
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (aluminum free)
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (freshly ground organic golden)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened, dark)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted extra virgin organic)
- You will need one 10-ounce microwave safe coffee mug. There's no need to grease the mug with this recipe.
- Place large egg in a small bowl. Lightly beat with a fork. Add vanilla extract, cane sugar, stevia, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, freshly ground flax meal, cocoa powder and melted coconut oil. Blend with a fork until combined. The mixture will resemble chocolate cake batter.
- Use a small spatula to scrape the batter into a coffee cup. Microwave on high for about one minute. Microwave temperatures vary. If, after 1 minute the batter has any wet spots, microwave for an additional 10 seconds or until done.
- Allow muffin to cool for about 2 minutes. Run a thin spatula or small knife around the edge of the mug. Turn the mug upside down over a small plate. The muffin should easily release from the mug.
Nutritional Analysis: Per 3-ounce muffin - 280 calories, 13 grams fat, 8 grams carbohydrates (4 grams sugar / 4 grams fiber), 9 grams protein, 100 grams sodium
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.