Who doesn't love a good Eggs Benedict for breakfast? Unfortunately, the bread usually featured is anything but gluten-free, but not in this recipe!
I love that this recipe is easy and perfect for a lazy weekend treat. My favorite part though - you can make it completely from scratch, gluten-free English muffins, and Hollandaise sauce included. The muffins can be made 4 days ahead of time, and the fast and easy sauce is made in a saucepan, no double boiler required.
If you are also dairy-free, you can make the substitution described below. Enjoy with a steaming hot of tea or coffee or with your side of orange juice.
- 4 Gluten-Free Buckwheat and Honey English Muffins (recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter (or light olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons light buckwheat flour (or sweet rice flour)
- 1 cup milk (or canned light coconut milk)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (or light olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Frank's Hot Sauce (or
- 8 poached eggs (step-by-step tutorial
- 8 slices gluten-free deli ham (thinly sliced)
- Prepare the English muffins and poached eggs as per the recipes and tips above.
Make the Hollandaise Sauce:
- Put 4 tablespoons of butter or dairy-free substitute in a heavy medium saucepan and melt over low heat.
- Whisk in gluten-free light buckwheat flour or sweet rice flour and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove pan from heat. Whisk in milk or dairy-free substitute and return to medium heat. Continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove pan from heat and whisk in egg yolks, one at a time. Return pan to low heat.
- Whisk in melted butter, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Remove pan from heat. Hollandaise shouldn't be "too" thick. If needed, thin with a few drops of hot water.
Assemble the Eggs Benedict:
- Slice 2 English muffins in half and toast in a toaster reserved for gluten-free bread only.
- While the toast is browning, place ham in a skillet and warm over low heat.
- Butter each English muffin, fold 2 slices of ham on each slice, top each muffin with 2 poached eggs.
- Spoon about 4 tablespoons of warm Hollandaise over each. Serve with additional buttered English muffins if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||104 g|
|Saturated Fat||42 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||44 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|