Dean Lavornia, Associate Professor at Johnson and Wales University in Providence, RI, presented this gluten free flour blend at the 2008 Gluten-Free Culinary Summit. A talented pastry chef, Dean's wife and children suffer from Celiac disease, which has motivated him to develop amazing gluten free pastries. He uses this gluten free flour blend to make gingerbread houses at Christmas, gingerbread cut-out cookies and a fabulous Honey Pecan Tart with Gingerbread Crust. This recipe is used with Chef Lavornia's permission.
- 2 cups rice flour (brown)
- 2 cups rice flour (white)
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons potato starch (not flour)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Gather the ingredients.
- Sift all ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk to thoroughly blend. Place in a labeled, sealed container and refrigerate.Measure ingredients carefully and as Chef Lavornia said , When it says + 2 tablespoons flour, it means + 2 tablespoons flour!"Yield: Approximately 6 cups gluten free flour blend. Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.