What makes this recipe for gluten-free fruitcake different from the fruitcakes of legendary jokes? This from-scratch recipe is buttery moist and loaded with nuts and dried fruits, 8 cups to be exact. And the fruit is not the unnatural, artificially colored variety but dried dates, apricots, ginger, cherries, and raisins.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (granulated, cane)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (gluten-free blend, use your favorite recipe or brand, preferably without added xanthan gum or guar gum)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan gum — do not add this if your gluten-free flour blend contains added gum!)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups pecans (chopped)
- 2 cups dates (dried, chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups apricots (dried, chopped)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cherries (dried)
- 1/2 cup ginger (crystallized, chopped)
- 4 plus tablespoons of brandy (or rum)
- Preheat oven to 325 F / 163 C
- Butter two 7-inch round springform cake pans (or two 9x5-inch loaf pans). Line pans with parchment paper or foil and butter again.
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Gradually add sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon extract and egg yolks and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together gluten-free all purpose flour blend, guar gum (or xanthan gum) — if there is no added gum in your gluten-free flour blend, gluten-free baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the butter mixture while beating on low. Add milk and beat until combined. Stir in half of the chopped nuts and fruits - about 4 cups.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Use a large spatula to gradually fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Then, gradually and gently fold in the remaining nuts and fruits.
- Pour half of batter into each of the prepared pans.
- Use a spatula to cut into the batter to remove any air bubbles and smooth the batter.
- Gently tap each pan on the counter.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 90 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool cakes on a rack for about 1 hour.
- Carefully remove cakes from pans and remove parchment paper or foil.
- Wrap each cake in a clean cotton dish towel.
- Sprinkle the top of each towel-covered cake with about 2 tablespoons of brandy or rum.
- Wrap each cake in foil and allow to sit at room temperature.
- Continue to moisten a cloth with brandy or rum every two days until ready to serve.
Gluten Free Reminder
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|