Farm fresh garlic scapes are paired with a pound of green asparagus in this creamy, yet light, summertime gluten-free soup that still has texture from the heartiness of the grilled vegetables.
Grilling the asparagus and scapes with olive oil, salt, and pepper adds a smoky, summer flavor to the soup. When tender, the vegetables are blended together in broth simmered with bay leaf and a hint of red pepper flakes. Instead of grilling, the scapes and asparagus can be sautéed instead.
Each ladle of this delicious soup is filled with the warmth and green of summer.
- Heat grill on medium-high.
- In a large bowl, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over asparagus and garlic scapes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss until coated.
- Place the asparagus and garlic scapes in a grilling veggie basket (or grill whole and slice into 1-inch pieces afterward). Place the veggie basket in the center of the grill, then close the grill lid. Cook for about 20 minutes, tossing occasionally until the vegetables are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Alternatively, you can sauté in a large skillet until bright green and tender).
- While the vegetables are grilling or sautéeing, combine the gluten-free vegetable broth, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- When the vegetables are done, add them to the stockpot of broth. Bring to a boil and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove pot from heat. Remove bay leaf from the broth and discard.
- With an immersion blender -- or with a regular blender working in batches -- blend the soup until smooth.
- Divide soup into large bowls and top with gluten-free crackers or homemade gluten-free croutons. Serve immediately.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten.
- Always read product labels, not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice.
- When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
What Are Garlic Scapes?
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|