This recipe was almost a big disaster until several gluten-free eaters stopped by to sample these giant lemon ginger cookies.
They all raved about these 5-inch wide cookies that almost look like the moon on a summer night. Even though the cookie dough spread much more than I had planned for during baking, these are gorgeous looking and extremely delicious cookies -- thanks to lots of freshly grated lemon zest, finely chopped candied ginger, sugar, and butter.
The recipe is adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe for "Earthbound Farms Lemon Snaps," which appears in Food to Live By by Myra Goodman, founder of Earthbound Farms.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (with xanthan gum or
- guar gum in the mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon
- gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 2 ounces crystallized ginger (minced)
- Preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C
- Combine softened butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cream with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and lemon extract. Beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free all purpose flour, gluten-free baking powder, ground ginger, salt and grated lemon zest. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat on slow and use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. When the mixture is combined, gradually add the minced ginger to the cookie dough and blend until combined.
- Make 2 tablespoon balls out of dough for giant cookies. Place no more than 6 on large ungreased cookie sheets. If they are placed too close together they will bake together! If you prefer smaller cookies make 1 tablespoon balls out of dough and place no more than 6 on large cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are set and the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for at least five minutes before removing with a large spatula to a cooling rack.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|