This recipe for Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men is adapted from a recipe by Jacqueline Mallorca, "Rice Flour Gingerbread Cows", featured in her fabulous cookbook, "The Wheat-Free Cook".
This version is corn free as well as gluten-free and is extra-extra gingery- so cut back on the ginger if you like.
- 1 cup brown rice flour (superfine)
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons ginger (ground, use 1 teaspoon if you don't like a heavy ginger taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1/2 cup molasses (dark, unsulfered)
- 1/4 cup sugar (confectioners)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Dusting: Extra rice flour
- 1 recipe for Royal Icing
- 1 recipe for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, beating on high speed for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Slowly add dry, sifted ingredients to butter mixture and beat just until stiff dough forms.
- Place dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap lightly dusted with sweet rice flour. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Dip gingerbread cookie cutter in sweet rice flour and cut out gingerbread men. Use a flour-dusted spatula to transfer cookies to baking sheet. If the dough should get too soft while you are working with it, just place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until cookies is firm to the touch. Cool, and decorate with royal icing and chocolate buttercream frosting.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten. User Reviews
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|