A go-to gluten-free crust recipe is helpful to have handy in the recipe box, especially a graham cracker pie crust. Once you have the crust, you can fill it with so many different flavor combinations to make a different dessert each time. With a go-to recipe, half the work is seemingly done.
This gluten-free crust recipe yields one 9-inch gluten-free graham cracker pie crust that serves as your basic building block to a delicious gluten-free pie. All you need are gluten-free graham crackers, softened butter, and a bit of cane sugar.
Nairn's Gluten-Free Oat Grahams are a delicious option to use for this pie crust. Pamela's also makes a gluten-free style graham cracker, as does Kinnikinnick. If you have the time and feeling ambitious, you can also make your own graham cracker from scratch.
Once you have the crust - which can be baked OR unbaked. Try this Gluten-Free Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie or this Gluten-Free Key Lime Pie (pictured above). There's also this Gluten-Free S'Mores Pie and these other delicious ideas (make sure you use a gluten-free crust, though!) The combinations and ideas are endless. Try more than one for a graham cracker pie filled summer.
- 2 cups (about 6.5 ounces) crushed gluten-free graham crackers
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablesppons cane sugar
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C.
- Place 6.5 ounces gluten-free graham crackers in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush crackers into fine crumbs.
- Place crumbs in a bowl and add soft butter, sugar and nutmeg. Use a large spatula or your hands to thoroughly combine ingredients.
- Pour crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan with a removable bottom. Use your fingers to press the crumbs evenly into your pie pan.
- For a baked crust place crust in a preheated oven. Bake for about 8 minutes or just until edges of crust start to brown.
- For unbaked crust - chill in the refrigerator until firm, or alternatively, wrap crust and freeze.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|