This recipe is based on a 5-star recipe for guacamole from the Guide to Low Carb Diets. This gluten-free version uses a few short-cuts during preparation, making this a fast and easy party recipe.
The recipe calls for prepared salsa. Be sure to use a gluten-free salsa product, or your own homemade fresh tomato salsa, which adds great fresh flavor to this healthy gluten-free, dairy-free and low carbohydrate appetizer recipe.
Avocados are a rich source of monounsaturated fats, vitamin K, important for bone health, potassium, and fiber — all good reasons to add avocado to your gluten-free diet.
Learn more about avocados from our Guide to Local Foods.
Note: Haas avocados (also known as California avocados) are smaller and have a rougher skin than the Fuerte, or Florida avocado, which is larger with a smooth, shiny green skin
- 3 avocados (ripe Haas, or 2 ripe Fuerte avocados—see note)
- 3/4 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon salt (Kosher, or to taste)
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa (prepared or pico de gallo)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder (more if you like garlic!)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed, add more when adjusting flavors if you like)
- Optional: 2 small jalapeno peppers (seeded, finely diced)
- Wash avocados and carefully cut in half lengthwise and remove the pits. Use a spoon to scrape the avocado into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the salt, garlic powder and fresh squeezed lime juice to the avocado. Pulse the food processor until the guacamole is the consistency that you like. Some people like smooth guac, some like it a bit chunkier - just like peanut butter!
- Use a spatula to scrape the guacamole into a bowl and stir in the prepared salsa and optional diced jalapeno peppers if you are using them. Check the flavors and add more salt, garlic powder, lime juice and/or salsa if needed.
- For best flavor, make this recipe up to one day ahead of serving, cover, and chill.
- Serve with gluten-free corn tortilla chips.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|