What summer picnic or gathering is complete without a chilled slice of tart, cool Key Lime Pie on a paper plate?
This wildly popular pie originated in the Florida Keys in the mid-19th century. Fresh milk was scarce on the sun-baked tropical islands, but when Borden's was granted a patent for canned milk, which required no refrigeration, Key Lime Pie was born.
Adapting traditional, classic key lime pie for a gluten-free diet is simple and approachable. A gluten-free graham cracker pie crust makes the adaptation easy.
Some versions of Key Lime Pie are meringue-topped. This version is easier to prepare and a dollop of whipped cream is a nice balance to the acidity of the filling.
Enjoy this gluten-free twist on Key Lime Pie any time you are craving the brightness of summer.
Note: This recipe for Gluten-Free Key Lime Pie is adapted from a recipe which appears in Maurice's Tropical Fruit Cook Book.
Edited by Stephanie Kirkos, October 2016
- 1gluten-free graham cracker pie crust (Get Recipe)
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (Tip - for a lower fat version, use non-fat sweetened condensed milk)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Key Lime juice (if you can't find key limes, you can substitute Persian lime juice in this recipe, but you will lose some of the authentic tart flavor of Key limes)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- Optional garnish: 1 cup of prepared whipped cream and 8 thin slices of lime
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
- Prepare 1 unbaked 9-inch gluten-free graham cracker crust
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice and lime zest in a large mixing bowl. Beat ingredients until smooth and thick.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crust and smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes, until filling just begins to set.
- Cool completely on a rack and then refrigerate for about 3 hours. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a slice of lime - optional.
Tip from our Guide to Home Cooking - "Place the Key lime pie in the freezer about 15 to 20 minutes before serving time. Slice and serve with a large dollop of whipped cream."
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|