Just like classic French Madeleines, gluten-free Madeleines are soft, golden scalloped cookies, rich with butter and the flavor and scent of lemons. Enjoy this cookie with a cup of green tea!
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix (with xanthan or guar gum in the mix) See note!
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted but cool)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons powdered sugar to dust Madeleines
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C
- Generously grease 2 standard madeleine pans with butter or vegetable shortening.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand or stand mixer to beat on high until creamy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon peel, and salt and beat to combine. Gradually add gluten-free flour mix and beat just until combined. Slowly drizzle melted butter into the mixture and beat until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared Madeleine molds. Smooth tops of each Madeleine with a spoon. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until tops are puffed and golden brown. Invert the pans onto wire racks and give them a hard tap to remove the cookies from the molds. Serve warm dusted with a bit of confectioner’ sugar for the best flavor.
NOTE: If your gluten-free flour mix DOES NOT contain xanthan gum or guar gum adds 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite gum to this recipe.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|