Gluten-free molasses ginger cookies are big cookies with a pronounced molasses flavor. This is a sturdy cookie, perfect for lunchboxes or travel snacks.
This recipe is made with a convenient gluten-free flour blend but use your favorite homemade blend or ready-made gluten-free flour blend. If you use a ready-made flour blend check to see if xanthan gum or guar gum is included in the ingredients list. If it contains a gum there's no need to add the gum called for in the recipe.
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan gum; if you use a mix with gum included DON'T add this!)
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsulfured dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sugar (to sprinkle on cookies before baking)
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 176 C
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats or lightly grease.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Place sugar, shortening, egg, and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Beat on high until fluffy and combined, about 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and beat on medium speed to combine.
- Use a 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop to form uniform sized cookies or scoop 2 tablespoons out of bowl to form a ball about the size of a walnut. Place scoops or balls about 3-inches apart on baking sheets - about 9 cookies per baking sheet.
- Use the back of a tablespoon to make small indentations in the top of each cookie and sprinkle lightly with sugar (optional)
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until tops begin to crack and cookies are firm to the touch. Cool on rack.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|