The original Morning Glory muffin recipe is said to have originated on Nantucket Island, the creation of Chef Pam McKinstry. I can't think of a better gluten-free breakfast and snack muffin than Morning Glory muffins with well over a quart of healthy fruits, carrots and nuts added. And these fragrant cinnamon-spiced muffins are gluten and dairy free.
This recipe is a gluten-free adaptation of "The Original Morning Glory Muffins," which appears in The Earthbound Farm Organics Cookbook - Food to Live By by Myra Goodman with Linda Holland and Pamela McKinstry.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (all purpose - if your mix contains xanthan gum or guar gum don't add the additional 1 teaspoon gum to the recipe)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan gum)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups carrots (grated from about 4 large carrots)
- 1 large apple (peeled and shredded)
- 8 ounces pineapple (drained, crushed)
- 3/4 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup coconut (shredded, sweetened)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or pecans, coarsely chopped)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
- Grease standard muffin pan or line with paper muffin cup liners.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, gluten-free flour blend, guar gum OR xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Use a large whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In a separate large bowl combine shredded carrots, apples, crushed pineapple, raisins, coconut, and nuts. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Add the fruit, vegetable, nut mixture to the dry ingredients followed by eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat the mixture to thoroughly combine ingredients.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|