Deep fried gluten-free onion rings are a real treat! Use this recipe and either Vidalia or Walla Walla onions. They're crunchy delicious.
- 2 sweet yellow onions (preferably Vidalia in season or Walla Walla)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (all purpose, Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour used in this recipe)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup club soda
- Preheat oven to "warm" setting or about 250 F. Place a cooling rack on a large baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Place gluten-free flour, cornstarch, salt and seasonings in a large bowl. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add club soda and stir with a fork until blended. The batter should be thick and pourable. If needed, add more club soda, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Peel onions and trim the ends. Slice into rings.
- Heat oil in a large heavy dutch oven or electric fryer until it reaches 350 F.
- Place small batches of sliced onions in a bowl of batter. Use a fork to thoroughly coat slices with batter.
- Carefully lower battered onions into hot oil small batches and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Use a large slotted spoon or tongs to remove onions and drain on wire rack.
- Place baking sheet with fried onions in the oven to keep them warm while continuing to fry onions in batches.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|