Gluten-free popovers are soft on the inside and crisp and golden on the outside. And they're so easy to make. Place all 5 ingredients in a blender and go!
The method used to prepare this recipe for gluten-free popovers starts with a hot, preheated oven and a preheated popover pan.
- 3/4 cup flour (gluten-free all purpose mix - preferably without added gum, see note below)
- 1/4 cup rice flour (gluten-free, sweet)
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt (sea)
- 1 cup half & half (light cream)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 450F / 232C
- Liberally grease a 4-cup popover pan with vegetable oil.
- Combine all-purpose gluten-free flour, gluten-free sweet rice flour and salt in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Combine half & half (light cream), eggs and gluten-free flour mixture (in that order) in a large blender pitcher. Blend at high speed. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the pitcher and pulse briefly. The popover batter should look like very thin pancake batter.
- Place the popover pan in preheated oven for 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove pan and fill each popover cup 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Place pan back in preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F / 149C and bake additional 5-7 minutes or until the popovers are deep golden brown. Serve warm.
Cook's Note on ingredients:
- I prepared a dairy-free version of gluten-free popovers using canned coconut milk with poor results. Not only didn't the popovers pop as high, they did not have the characteristic hollow inside and they did not brown well.
- I used Authentic Foods All-Purpose GF Classic Flour Blend to prepare this recipe. This product contains brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour and has no added gum.
If you prefer to use a homemade gluten-free flour blend, I recommend using the following gluten-free flour / starch combination to prepare this recipe: 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 2 tablespoons potato starch, 2 tablespoons tapioca starch.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|