Gluten-free strawberry shortcake is made with a simple gluten-free cake recipe and drenched with juicy summer-fresh strawberries. I used superfine brown rice flour in this recipe for added nutritional value.
This recipe is gluten and dairy-free so it's appropriate for GFCF diets.
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour (or 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon white rice flour)
- 1/2 cup potato starch OR cornstarch OR arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan gum)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Spectrum all-vegetable shortening (or butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canned light coconut milk (or milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 2 cups Non-dairy gluten-free whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Place in a bowl and add 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, according to taste. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate while shortcakes bake.
- Grease a muffin pan with vegetable shortening or use paper cupcake liners. (A shortcake baking pan adds a nice indentation to the cakes, which is great for nestling the strawberries and for soaking up strawberry juices, but isn't necessary).
- Place all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Place shortening and 1/2 cup remaining sugar in another mixing bowl. Using a stand-mixer or an electric mixer, cream until fluffy. Add eggs and beat on high just until combined with the shortening and sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low until well combined.
- Pour in coconut milk and vanilla. Beat until the batter is smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Fill each muffin cup about 1/2 full with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the baking pan for about 10 minutes before carefully removing.
- To serve, cut the cupcakes in half and place on individual plates. Spoon about 1/2 cup strawberries and juice over each cake. Top with gluten-free, non-dairy whipped topping (optional).
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|