Stuffed green peppers make a terrific gluten-free entree because the ingredients are naturally gluten-free and this dish is so hardy and delicious. Summer is an ideal time to enjoy stuffed bell peppers at their peak of freshness and local availability.
Although this dish takes some time to prepare, it can be prepared a day or two in advance of serving for real convenience. Or, of course, you can freeze cooked stuffed pepper so this filling entree is ready when you are.
- 8 large green bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef or chuck
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (use reserved tops)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 2 crushed cloves fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided (1 teaspoon for boiling peppers, 1 teaspoon for seasoning ground beef) OR to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cusp shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut the tops off peppers and dice tops only. Set aside. Remove seeds and membranes from peppers. Try not to pierce pepper flesh. This will prevent juices from leaking out during baking.
- Blanche peppers. Fill a large pot half full with water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Add peppers, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.
- Cook one cup of basmati rice according to package directions.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet. Heat to medium-high. Brown ground beef. Add diced vegetables and cook mixture until the vegetables are tender but not overcooked. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add rice and cooked ground beef mixture in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add half of shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to blend. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Top each pepper with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until cheese just begins to bubble and brown.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|