A go-to frosting is a great recipe to have in the recipe box. One that is easy, simple, and reliable. This easy recipe for gluten and dairy-free vanilla frosting is perfect for frosting cakes and cupcakes for kids on gluten and casein-free diets.
The frosting does not require cooking and is very easy to work with. Instead of butter, this recipe calls for vegetable shortening that is creamed together with gluten-free powdered sugar, salt, choice of dairy-free milk substitute, and gluten-free vanilla extract.
Why does powdered sugar need to be gluten-free? Some powdered sugars include a starch that contains gluten, similar to marshmallows. Be careful to read labels; when in doubt, call the manufacturer to confirm.
The milk substitute is up to you. Canned coconut milk is dreamy for super creamy frosting with a subtle hint of coconut lingering in the background. Cashew milk adds a lovely creaminess as well, but both almond milk and soy milk would work well, too.
You can adjust the amount of dairy-free milk substitute to desired frosting consistency, less if you want a slightly thicker frosting, a bit more for a silkier, creamier texture.
For the flavor of vanilla but a burst of color to your baked treats, you can add a touch of gluten-free food coloring for a more festive dessert.
- 1/3 cup shortening (vegetable, like Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar (gluten-free, powdered)
- 2 to 3 tbsp coconut milk (canned, or your favorite dairy-free milk substitute)
- 1/4 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract
- Place vegetable shortening and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cream together with an electric mixer.
- Add gluten-free powdered sugar and milk substitute. Whip on high just until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- If frosting is too stiff, gradually add more milk substitute, 1 teaspoon at a time to desired consistency.
- Use the frosting on your favorite gluten-free dairy-free baked goods.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten.
Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||123 g|
|Saturated Fat||45 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||49 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|