Gluten-free vanilla wafers are easy to make and buttery good. This simple recipe calls for basic ingredients, a real plus when you crave a classic cookie!
This gluten-free recipe was adapted from a recipe which appears in the cookbook Gifts from the Kitchen, "Madeleines," published by Love Food.
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel (grated, fresh)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour (gluten-free all purpose, with xanthan or guar gum in the mix)
- 10 tablespoons butter (melted, cool unsalted, your favorite dairy-free butter substitute)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated, to dip glass into press cookies)
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone pads or lightly grease
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon peel, and salt and beat to combine. Gradually add gluten-free flour and beat just until combined. Slowly drizzle melted butter into the mixture and beat until combined.
- Drop dough by heaping rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 11/2-inch space between cookies. Dip a small drinking glass in the extra sugar and gently press down on each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown and crispy. Cool.
Note: If your gluten-free flour mix does not contain xanthan gum or guar gum, add 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite gum to this recipe.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|