A mug of tea and a warm, fresh-out-of-the-oven scone on a rainy afternoon sounds dreamy, right?
That dreamy image can become a reality with these gluten-free very berry scones. These scones are gluten-free, but you would never guess. Each bite is bursting with fresh berries for fluffy, doughy breakfast goodness with every bite.
Instead of forming the scones into traditional triangles, we dolloped the scone batter into mounds on the baking sheet for a more rustic appearance (and to get the scones into the oven faster so we could enjoy them faster).
- 2 cups flour (gluten-free all purpose, like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your gluten-free flour mixture already includes this)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh, washed, and patted dry)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh, washed, and patted dry)
- 1/2 cup butter (cold, unsalted, cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (non-fat)
- 3/4 cup soy milk (unsweetened, or other favorite non-dairy milk or regular milk)
- Garnish: cardamom (sprinkle)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425 F, and lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add small pieces of butter, and cut into the flour with a fork or pastry cutter until coarse crumbs form.
Whisk yogurt and milk together in a separate bowl until blended. Gradually add the wet mixture to the bowl of butter and flour, combining until a dough forms.
After the dough reaches consistency, gently fold in the fruit.
Dollop the scone batter into 2 to 3-inch mounds on the baking sheet, leaving ample room between each scone.
Sprinkle each scone with cardamom, and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool scones on a wire rack.
Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container once completely cooled.
- For a flair of fall flavor, garnish each scone with a dusting of ground cardamom for a touch of spice that pairs well with the berries.
- Enjoy the scones warm out of the oven with a pad of butter or a hearty spoonful of berry-packed jam.
- Rainy days need never be dreary and dull again. Make a large batch of these scones and store in an air tight container to enjoy throughout the week, even if the sun shines through.
- Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.