|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 cocktail (1 serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You will find the gold mine to be one of the more intriguing scotch cocktails available. It has all the classic style many drinkers look for in a great cocktail and you'll love the complexity of this whisky drink.
The gold mine recipe begins with a mix of scotch, Galliano, and sherry for a semi-sweet, smoky, rich, and slightly herbal base. The egg and lime juice bond those three flavors, and the lemonade brings in a lighter side, transforming the drink into a refreshing sipper. Overall, it's a universal drink that will work perfectly for most occasions and any season.
Gather the ingredinents.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the whiskey, Galliano, sherry, egg white, and lime juice.
Shake well, for at least 30 seconds to ensure the egg is thoroughly mixed.
Top with lemonade.
Garnish with a skewered orange slice and cherry flag.
Serve and enjoy!
- A blended Scotch such as Famous Grouse or Chivas Regal is recommended for this cocktail. These tend to have a balanced flavor and will mix better in such a complex drink.
- Sweet sherry is one of the many styles of the fortified wine. If you cannot find one with that label, try Oloroso as it is the richest among the most common types of sherry.
- Measuring out 1 teaspoon of egg white takes some finesse. Get as close as you can; using a whole egg white from a large egg is 1 ounce (or 6 teaspoons), so there is a significant difference. Adding that much will not affect the taste of the drink. Instead, it will give the drink a more luscious feel and foamier top.
- The key to safely drinking raw egg in cocktails is to ensure your egg is fresh. Give it a quick test by placing the uncracked egg in a glass of water. If it sinks, it's fresh; floating eggs are too old, even for cooked food, and should be discarded.
- No lemonade in the fridge? Make only what you need quickly by shaking 1 part each lemon juice and simple syrup with 2 parts water in an ice-filled shaker.
If you prefer, skip the egg white entirely. It will still be a refreshing drink.
How Strong Is a Gold Mine Cocktail?
You may have noticed that the whisky is not a full shot as seen in the majority of cocktails. In fact, the three alcohols in the gold mine add up to a 1 1/2 ounce shot, so this is a surprisingly light cocktail. On average, its alcohol content is just 10 percent ABV (20 proof), or equivalent to the average wine.