|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This rum and dew recipe is a fun and simple drink that is refreshing, tall, and sure to quench your thirst. While it is easy, the mixed drink is full of flavor and it may even become one of your new favorites. It's a quick one to mix up by the pitcher too, so it's a fantastic choice for brunch, cookouts, and other casual gatherings.
In the rum and dew, you'll simply mix spiced rum with orange juice and Mountain Dew. The spice is very subtle behind the citrus, adding a layer of flavor that isn't found in straight orange drinks like the screwdriver. The soda also adds some interest by lightening up the juice base.
- 1 1/2 ounces spiced rum
- 1 1/2 ounces orange juice
- 3 ounces Mountain Dew
Gather the ingredients.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you have a preference for it, Diet Mountain Dew also works well in this drink.
- Mountain Dew has a grapefruit-orange flavor and you can use nearly any citrus soda as an alternative. For instance, you might like this drink with a grapefruit soda such as Squirt or Fresca or a lemon-lime soda like Sprite or 7-Up.
- Take a few minutes to squeeze fresh orange juice because it always makes for better drinks. The average orange will produce about 2 to 3 ounces of orange juice, which is enough for one to two drinks. To get more juice out of an orange, warm it up and roll it firmly against a hard surface before you squeeze it.
It's easy to mix up a pitcher of rum and dews to serve several guests so you're not stuck making drinks all day. Simply keep the ratio at 1:1:2. For example, to make a batch of eight servings, combine 1 1/2 cups spiced rum, 1 1/2 cups orange juice, and 3 cups soda.
- To retain the soda's fizz, make it up immediately before serving.
- It's better to add ice to the glasses rather than the pitcher.
- If you want to prepare it ahead of time, mix the rum and orange juice in the pitcher, then add the soda before you pour the individual drinks.
How Strong Is a Rum and Dew?
The rum and dew is a relatively gentle drink which is why it's great for casual sipping on lazy days and for happy hour. On average, it mixes up to around 10 percent ABV (20 proof) and that's a normal strength for highballs. Do be aware, however, that the taste can trick your taste buds into wanting more and it is very easy to drink a few too many if you're not careful!