- 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples (peeled, cored and coarsely chopped)
- For the Caramel Topping:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat together 1 cup of brown sugar, the vegetable oil, cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the milk, flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring just until blended. Stir in apples.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350° until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel topping. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 1/4 cup of heavy cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- With a fork, pierce the hot cake all over.
- Pour hot caramel topping over the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping. Alternatively, serve with a scoop of ice cream.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|