Looking for a classic vegetarian mushroom risotto recipe with the depth of flavor that only a generous amount of fresh mushrooms and the sensuous aroma of truffle oil can provide? This classic Italian dish, usually relegated to a side dish, makes an excellent vegetarian entree full of flavor.
This vegetarian recipe uses no substitutes: it calls for whole milk, butter, white wine, cheese and truffle oil. Nothing low-fat and nothing that doesn't add a ton of flavor! So while this particular mushroom risotto recipe might not be the healthiest and lowest fat risotto out there, it does make a satisfying meal that will have you licking your fork.
If it's a lower-fat vegetarian risotto you're after, you might want to try this vegan sun-dried tomato risotto recipe which is completely dairy-free, vegan and cholesterol-free, or this classic white wine vegan risotto for a simple and classic Italian dish.
See also: 8 fantastic vegetarian risotto recipes
- 5 - 6 cups vegetable broth, hot
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 - 3 shallots (chopped small)
- 1 1/2 cups porcini mushrooms (or other mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup whole milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (Romano cheese may also be used)
- Dash sea salt (or kosher salt, to taste)
- Dash fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tsp truffle oil
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped, for garnish)
- First, start warming your vegetable broth in a saucepan so it will be nice and hot (but not boiling) when you're ready to use it. This reduces the overall cooking time of a classic risotto.
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the minced garlic and chopped shallots, heating for just a minute, then add the arborio rice and the mushrooms, stirring to cook and coat evenly. Allow to heat, stirring frequently, for about two minutes.
- Add the white wine and heat for another minute or two, uncovered. Next add about one cup of the vegetable broth, stirring to keep the rice from burning. Allow to slowly simmer, uncovered. Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, add another cup of hot vegetable broth, repeating the process until all the vegetable broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- Finally, add the whole milk or heavy cream and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Your total cooking time should be about 25-30 minutes.
- Quickly stir in the fresh grated cheese and turn off the heat. Stir in the cheese, then add the truffle oil. Stir, and inhale that amazing aroma. Doesn't it smell good?
- Season your mushroom and truffle oil risotto with a bit of sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper (go easy on the salt and pepper - you don't want to overpower the truffle oil!), to taste and garnish it with a small amount of fresh chopped parsley if you'd like.
Like risotto? Ever thought of trying it for dessert? Here's a gourmet chocolate dessert risotto recipe for something a little bit different and unexpected.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|