|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This lively cole slaw has a bite from the tart apples making it better than most slaws. Combined with cabbage and a delicious dressing this cole slaw is light and refreshing and great on a pulled pork sandwich.
- 3 cups/700 mL thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 head of white cabbage
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (juice of two lemons)
- 1 cup/240 mL water
- For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup/120 mL mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup/60 mL cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL sugar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL mustard
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
1. Peel and core apples. Cut into thin strips of matchstick pieces. Place into a non-metallic bowl with 1 cup of water the juice of 2 lemons. This will help to keep the apples from turning brown. Let apples sit in mixture for 15 minutes or so.
2. In a large plastic or glass bowl, add mustard, lemon juice, salt, thyme, sugar, and caraway seeds. Stir a few times. Using a whisk, slowly whisk in oil to emulsify the dressing. Once oil is well incorporated, stir in mayonnaise.
3. Add chopped cabbage and apples pieces and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. This slaw should be used the day it is prepared.
4. Add to pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches or serve slaw as a side dish.