|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These popular meatballs are made with ground beef, herbs, and a fabulous sweet-and-sour sauce made with grape jelly and ketchup. Perfect for tailgating, holiday parties, game day gatherings, or potluck lunches, these meatballs are easy to transport and eat – keep on WARM in the crockpot and provide toothpicks, napkins, and small disposable paper plates.
Use cocktail sausages, frozen meatballs, or ground turkey in this recipe instead of lean beef if you'd like. Take a look at the tips and variations section below for slow cooker instructions and more.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a large baking pan with foil.
Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together.
Shape the beef into 1-inch balls.
Using olive oil, brown the meatballs on all sides in a large skillet over medium heat.
Place meatballs in the prepared baking pan.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the ketchup, lemon juice, and grape jelly. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the grape jelly sauce mixture onto the meatballs and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Once cooked, place the meatballs into the crockpot or in a chafing dish to keep warm until it's time to serve.
Slow Cook Version
These meatballs can be cooked in the slow cooker as well:
- Shape the meatballs and place them in the foil-lined baking pan.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until the meatballs register at least 160 F, the minimum safe temperature for ground meat consumption.
- Transfer the meatballs to the slow cooker and pour the sauce on top. Cook until the sauce is bubbling – 2 to 3 hours on LOW or about 1 1/2 hours on HIGH.
For an even easier crockpot version:
- Use about 2 pounds of good quality frozen meatballs instead of homemade meatballs. Put them in the slow cooker with the sauce ingredients and cook them on HIGH for about 1 1/2 hours and then turn to LOW for about an hour, or until the meatballs are hot.
Other Flavors and Additions
You can also try to:
- Make the meatballs with part or all ground turkey. Ground turkey thighs are best for meatballs. If too lean, the meatballs will be tough and somewhat dry.
- Use 2 pounds of cocktail sausages or mini wieners instead of the ground beef mixture. Prepare the sauce and bake with the sausages for 30 minutes or cook in the slow cooker for about 2 to 3 hours on LOW or about 1 1/2 hours on HIGH.
- Make a spicy jelly sauce adding 2 tablespoons of hot sauce or 1 teaspoon of chili flakes.