This mint-flavored, no-bake pie with a homemade chocolate crust is inspired by the grasshopper cocktail, a minty sweet after-dinner drink. The name comes from the bright green color of the creme de menthe. The namesake drink was invented back in 1918 at a bar in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The drink gained popularity in the 1950s and 1960s in the South and then inspired the pie by the same name.
The cocktail is typically a combination of creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and heavy cream. Here the pie still gets its signature color and flavor from the creme de menthe, but the creme de cacao is swapped for a chocolate cookie crust and whipped cream is folded into the filling. In addition, cream cheese is added to give the pie substance and richness. No cooking required!
- For the Crust:
- 1 (9-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies (crushed)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- For the Filling:
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup crème de menthe
- 2 cups whipping cream (whipped)
- Garnish: Fresh mint sprigs
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups of the crushed chocolate wafer cookies and melted butter. Set aside remaining cookie crumbs for garnish.
A box of chocolate wafer cookies can easily be ground or crushed into a powder for this homemade crust.
- Food processor: A few pulses of the food processor makes quick work of the job. The cookies quickly break down into a fine powder. You might need to stir it a few times to make sure all the cookies break up properly.
- By hand: The cookies can also be crushed by hand. Simply place the cookies in a zip-top plastic bag. Remove the air and seal. Using a rolling pin, crush the cookies until they have reached the desired consistency.
Press the moistened cookie crumbs into a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until firm.
In a mixer, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and crème de menthe until well-mixed and creamy.
Whip the cream to firm peaks with an electric mixer.
Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese and creme de menthe mixture.
Spoon the filling into the chilled crust.
Chill at least 2 hours or until firm enough to slice.
Garnish with remaining chocolate wafer cookie crumbs and fresh mint.
- For a non-alcoholic version of this pie, swap the creme de menthe from the liquor store with mint-flavored Italian soda syrup such as Torani.
- If you would like more mint flavor, feel free to add a little mint extract.
- If you prefer a stronger green hue to your grasshopper pie you can add a few drops of green food coloring to the filling.