|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 serving|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Whenever you hear the name grasshopper in the drink world, you're sure to find a delicious combination of mint and chocolate. This grasshopper shot recipe follows suit. It is an irresistible little drink that's perfect for any party, especially those with a green theme like St. Patrick's Day.
The shooter uses the same three ingredients as the famous grasshopper cocktail. The green crème de menthe gives it the signature color along with a tasty mint flavor. The crème de cacao adds a hint of sweet chocolate, and the cream ensures a smooth drink that's very easy to shoot.
The grasshopper is one of the best-tasting shots you can mix up. It may be a little too good because the sweet taste makes it easy to have one too many if you're not careful.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream.
Serve and enjoy!
Get the Greenest Grasshopper
- In any grasshopper recipe, the key to a brilliant green drink is to choose the right liqueurs. Crème de menthe comes in green and white, while crème de cacao has dark and white options. Both "white" liqueurs are clear, and none of the liqueurs are creamy (crème means it has a lot of sugar). While different combinations will create the same mint-chocolate taste, it's not always aesthetically pleasing.
- With that in mind, the best-looking grasshopper comes from green crème de menthe and white crème de cacao. If you pour the darker chocolate liqueur, your shot will look muddy—more like a swamp rather than a field of clover.
- If you don't have light cream in stock, use whatever creamy ingredient you have on hand. It could be half and half, heavy cream, milk, or a dairy alternative such as almond, rice, or soy milk.
- If you have no cacao in the bar, but you do have a chocolate vodka, go ahead and use that. Some are brown and will mess with the color, but the flavor will be the same. This substitute will create a stronger shot as well, so take it a little easier than usual.
- No dairy products in the bar? Turn to your favorite cream liqueur—Irish cream and RumChata are great options—and pour that instead.
How Strong Is the Grasshopper Shot?
The average crème de menthe and cacao liqueurs are 50 proof. That makes the alcohol content of the grasshopper an easy one to estimate. When mixed according to the recipe, this shot should weigh in at 13 percent ABV (26 proof). It's similar to a glass of wine, only far more delicious, which is why it's best to be cautious about taking too many shots.