|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: serves 8-10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||67%|
|Total Carbohydrate 67g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delightfully light coconut cake is topped with a light syrup containing the tastes of lemon, cloves, and cinnamon. The recipe calls for self-rising flour, eggs, butter, sugar, milk, and coconut.
- 4 eggs (separated)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 pound of margarine (or butter), softened (2/3 cup)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut
- For the Syrup:
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon margarine (or butter, for baking pan)
- 2 tablespoons flour (for baking pan)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine all syrup ingredients in a saucepan and boil for 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 340 F (170 C).
- Beat the egg whites with salt to the stiff peak stage.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg yolks, margarine, and sugar until creamy. Beat in milk. Whisk together the flour and baking powder and beat into the mixture. Stir in the coconut. With a spatula, lightly fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Lightly grease a 15 X 10 inch (or equivalent) baking pan with margarine or butter, and lightly coat with flour (shake the pan and discard excess flour).
- Transfer the cake batter to the pan and spread evenly. Bake at 340 F (170 C) for 40-45 minutes until golden and the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven, cut in pieces, and while it's hot pour the cooled syrup evenly over the cake. Pour carefully, starting around the edges and moving into the middle. Sprinkle the top with 4-5 tablespoons of shredded coconut.
- Allow 2-3 hours for the syrup to be absorbed and the cake to cool completely before serving.