In Greek: αβγολέμονο, pronounced ahv-ghoh-LEH-moh-no
This creamy sauce has a lemony taste that works wonderfully with most vegetable dishes - casserole and steamed - and is a favorite with stuffed cabbage. Use it to give a special touch to leftovers containing ground meat, rice, or vegetables where the lemon taste will blend.
- 2-3 eggs (separated)
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2-3 lemons (the juice)
- For flavoring: 1 1/2 cups of broth (from the dish being cooked, or hot beef or chicken broth or stock)
- Beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and 2-3 ladlefuls of broth, beating (or whisking) continuously.
- Add the avgolemono sauce to the dish being cooked.
- Stir, and cover with a towel for 10 minutes.
Use the boiling meat or chicken stock if you want to prepare it for a dish that doesn't have its own liquid, like leftovers. Remember to add the liquid very slowly, beating or whisking continuously, so it mixes smoothly.