The taste combination of feta cheese with pasta is what makes this macaroni pie (Makaronopita Horiatiki -- in Greek: μακαρονόπιτα χωριάτικη, pronounced: mah-kah-roh-NO-peetah haw-ree-AH-tee-kee) fabulous. This simple version can be made more elaborate with the addition of other cheeses, bacon, and even leftover vegetables, but the basic dish is a country favorite. Best with homemade phyllo (filo), it can also be made with packaged phyllo (directions included).
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2-3 drops of white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of warm water (approximately)
- 2/3 pound (300g) of tubular pasta (ziti, long macaroni, penne)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 7/8 pound (400g) of feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more or less)
Make the Phyllo Crust
- Combine all crust ingredients and knead well (about 15 to 20 minutes) to create a smooth dough.
- Set aside to rest.
Make the Filling
- Cook the pasta per directions to the al dente stage, and drain well.
- Melt butter in the pot (it should still be hot) and stir in pasta to coat, and stir in crumbled feta.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, salt, and pepper, and add to the filling mixture.
Note: Tubular pasta tends to hold a lot of liquid. When draining, toss to remove as much water as possible.
Make the Macaroni Pie
- On a floured work surface, roll out the phyllo into two large sheets - each large enough to cover the pan twice.
- Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Brush the pan well with olive oil and lay a sheet of phyllo over the bottom, with half extending out the side. Brush the phyllo with olive oil and lay the second sheet on top. Brush with oil.
- Add filling and distribute evenly.
- Brush extending pieces of phyllo with olive oil and fold in over the top of the pie. Tuck in any edges, if needed.
- Bake at 355°F (180°C) for 35-40 minutes, until crust is dark gold and flaky.
- Yield: serves 6-8
To Use Packaged Phyllo
- Use one pound of large phyllo sheets.
- Lay half the sheets across the pan with part extending and brush with olive oil.
- Add filling and fold in phyllo. Add remaining sheets over the top, fold over, and tuck in any edges. (This is similar to the way phyllo is used when making galaktoboureko pastry (see photo tutorial.)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|