Do you love alfredo, but prefer a lightened-up version? This Greek yogurt pasta sauce is the perfect solution. It’s a healthier twist on the Italian-American classic that's loaded with protein from non-fat Greek yogurt. Still cheesy and luscious, you won’t be missing the heavy cream and extra butter.
With only a few ingredients, you’ll have this dinner together in no time. Add some grilled chicken and a side salad for a complete meal. It’s sure to please parents and kids alike. You can easily omit the white wine and use chicken or vegetable broth instead.
Serve this dish for an easy weeknight meal or as a main course for a fancy date night. It's beautiful, delicious, and simple.
You can easily reheat this pasta by adding it to a pan with a little water. Stir on low heat until the sauce comes together again.
Gather the ingredients.
Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the white wine and water to the pan, turn up the heat and simmer for 1 minute, whisking frequently. If you forgot to reserve the water, use water from the tap.
Turn the heat down to low. Whisk in the yogurt. Make sure the heat is low; you do not want it to boil or it will curdle. Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on very low heat until the Parmesan has melted and the flavors have combined.
Toss in the cooked pasta until it is completely coated with the sauce. Add more water or a little milk if the sauce is too thick.
Top the pasta with the chopped parsley and more grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook most of this sauce on very low heat. It takes a little bit longer, but you want to avoid curdling it, which is very important in order to keep it thick and creamy.
- Grated Parmesan helps to keep the sauce creamy instead of stringy. You can use shredded if you want, the texture will just be slightly different.
- Add grilled chicken, smoked sausage, or shrimp to the final product. You can also added finely sliced and steamed vegetables like carrots and zucchini or even small steamed broccoli florets.
- You can also add bacon or a combination of all of the add-ins!
- Use this sauce as a base for white lasagna.