This delicious green bean casserole is a nice combination of flavors. Top this casserole with buttered bread crumbs or crumbled French fried onion rings.
Use fresh or frozen green beans in the dish and feel free to use another shredded type of cheese. Cheddar, fontina, and cheddar jack are all good choices or any good melty cheese.
This dish is a good alternative to the traditional green bean casserole.
- 1 large bag (22 to 24 ounces) whole green beans
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounces shredded Mozzarella, fresh if possible
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttered bread crumbs or slightly crumbled French fried onions
- Butter an 11-by-7-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 375 F.
- Cook the green beans in a small amount of water until just tender. Drain and arrange in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the diced tomatoes and shredded cheese. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add onion and saute until tender. Stir in flour until well blended. Add the salt, pepper, cream, and sour cream. Heat through, stirring constantly. Spread the cream mixture over the green beans then sprinkle the bread crumbs or French fried onions over all.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|