This green bean casserole is made with sour cream, cheese, and a variety of herbs and seasonings. Use fresh or frozen green beans.
- 1 pound fresh green beans (cut French-style)
- 1 small onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar or American cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Cook fresh cut beans until just crisp-tender, or use frozen beans, cooked according to package directions; drain.
- Cook onion and parsley (If you don't have fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon dried will do) in 2 tablespoons of butter until onion is tender. Blend in flour, lemon peel, salt, and pepper. Add milk; cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Stir hot mixture into sour cream and cooked beans; heat until sauce just begins to bubble.
- Spoon into a 1 to 1 1/2-quart casserole; sprinkle cheese over the top. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; toss with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over cheese.
- Broil about five inches from broiler until cheese melts and crumbs brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|