|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 Casserole (8 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||34%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This green bean casserole is made with sour cream, cheese, and a variety of herbs and seasonings. Use fresh or frozen green beans.
- 1 pound fresh green beans (cut French-style)
- 1 small onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar or American cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
Cook fresh cut beans until just crisp-tender, or use frozen beans, cooked according to package directions; drain.
Cook onion and parsley (If you don't have fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon dried will do) in 2 tablespoons of butter until onion is tender. Blend in flour, lemon peel, salt, and pepper. Add milk; cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
Stir hot mixture into sour cream and cooked beans; heat until sauce just begins to bubble.
Spoon into a 1 to 1 1/2-quart casserole; sprinkle cheese over the top. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; toss with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over cheese.
Broil about five inches from broiler until cheese melts and crumbs brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.