Crunchy Cabbage Salad is a great way to serve cabbage and add another fresh vegetable dish to a meal. And as a pareve salad, it can be served with both meat and dairy meals. While it looks and tastes like a lot of work, it is actually very easy to assemble. This makes a lot of salad and there is only so much cabbage one can eat, so I suggest making this when inviting guests or attending a potluck.
Updated by Miri Rotkovitz
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablsepoon soy sauce (reduced sodium is fine)
- 2 (3-ounce) packages of ramen noodles (optional)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage and green onions.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and soy sauce. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Crush the ramen noodles (if using) while package is closed. Set a large dry skillet or chefs pan over medium heat. Add the crushed ramen noodles, almonds and sesame seeds, and saute just until toasty and golden brown. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl, and allow the mixture to cool.
- Just before serving, add some of the ramen-nut mixture to the cabbage. Toss well and serve immediately. Store any extra ramen in an airtight container.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|