Green garlic (garlic scapes) is one of the first signs that spring is coming. Use its delicate garlic flavor to scent this simple risotto that uses its tender aromas of spring in a warm, hearty dish.
This risotto makes a light main vegetarian dish (serve it with a salad or braised greens) or an excellent side dish with roast chicken or broiled fish.
- 3 Tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 green garlic scapes (trimmed and finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, brought to a simmer)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan(plus more for garnish)
- In a heavy, medium pot over medium heat melt a tablespoon of the butter in the olive oil. Add the green garlic and salt. Cook, frequently stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. You want all of the rice coated with the butter and olive oil. Cook, stirring, until the edges of each grain of rice turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring, until the wine is fully absorbed about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the simmering broth. Cook, stirring until the broth is almost entirely absorbed, about 3 minutes. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing the rice to absorb each batch before adding more broth. Continue until the rice is almost tender to the bite but still has some body. The rice should look creamy and able to eat with either spoon or fork.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Serve immediately, garnished with additional Parmesan, if you like.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|