South American tallarines verdes (green noodles) have a green pasta sauce made with both spinach and basil, similar to a pesto sauce.
Serve these delicious noodles as a main course with boiled yellow potatoes and green beans or as a side dish to accompany steak or chicken.
- 1 pound pasta (spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch washed spinach (about 3 cups leaves, packed)
- 1 cup basil leaves, washed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While onions are cooking, add spinach and basil leaves to a blender with the milk and process (working in batches if necessary) until smooth.
- Add cooked onions and garlic to the blender with the cheese and process, adding a little more milk if necessary, until you have a smooth mixture.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Melt butter in the skillet that cooked the onions. Pour sauce from the blender into the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, until sauce is heated through and smooth. Keep sauce warm.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to directions. Drain well and toss pasta with the sauce. Serve warm.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|