|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 76g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||32%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
South American tallarines verdes (green noodles) have a green pasta sauce made with both spinach and basil, similar to a pesto sauce. The sauce also has lots of queso fresco cheese and is creamier than traditional pesto sauce.
These noodles might just become a staple around your house as they're so good and so easy to make. Simply cook the pasta, make the sauce, and then toss them together. In less than 30 minutes, this dish can be on the table, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Serve these delicious noodles as a main course with boiled yellow potatoes and green beans, or as a side dish to accompany steak or chicken.
- 1 pound pasta (spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch washed spinach (about 3 cups leaves, packed)
- 1 cup basil leaves, washed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
While onions are cooking, add spinach and basil leaves to a blender with the milk and process (working in batches if necessary) until smooth.
Add cooked onions and garlic to the blender with the cheese and process, adding a little more milk if necessary, until you have a smooth mixture.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Melt butter in the skillet that cooked the onions. Pour sauce from the blender into the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, until sauce is heated through and smooth. Keep sauce warm.
Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to directions. Drain well and toss pasta with the sauce. Serve warm.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the noodles once they've been dished up to each plate.
- Add 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts to the blender when processing the spinach and basil leaves for additional texture and flavor.
How to Store
- Any leftovers of this dish should be placed in an airtight container and put in the refrigerator. It should be eaten within one to two days.