If you want to include more healthy and nutritious green salads in your diet, here are a few tips to make the absolute perfect fresh green salad. These tips will help keep eating fresh green salads more convenient and help you reach for a salad more frequently:
- Keep a few of your favorite salad dressings on hand, whether store-bought or homemade. You're more likely to make a quick salad if you can top it off with a dressing you enjoy.
- Chop up a few veggies and store them in baggies or air-tight containers in the fridge. When you've already got veggies on hand and ready to go, it's easy to just toss them into a mixed salad.
- Store a few canned add-ons to salads to add unexpected texture and flavor. Salads are not just about the lettuce! Try black olives, tinned beans (lima beans and garbanzo beans are both great in salads for a protein boost), hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, canned baby corn, sun-dried tomatoes and more.
- Speaking of lettuce, there are so many different kinds of lettuce Add more than one kind to your green salad to keep it interesting, or, try purchasing a pre-blended mix of greens, such as kale Italia.
- Don't forget about protein!. Add a handful of nuts, seeds or pre-flavored tofu for protein and for a crunchy texture. We like to add hemp seeds for extra protein and omega 3s or try these flavored pumpkin seeds
- Got leftover cooked grains? Add them right in, with an extra drizzle of dressing.
- Speaking of leftovers, you can turn just about any kind of leftovers into a salad. Got leftover rice? Add chopped romaine and an Asian salad dressing. Leftover cooked potatoes or veggies? Great with lettuce. Leftover beans or veggie burgers? Add those right in. Got leftover burritos or enchiladas? Chop them up and add a big bed of lettuce and you've got yourself a taco salad.