This chutney is another excellent way to use green tomatoes. The chutney is fabulous with chicken or pork, or serve it along with just about any grilled meat.
Chutney is good on sandwiches as a spread and a small amount can jazz up a chicken or tuna salad. Or top deviled eggs with a dab of chutney.
Chow Chow - Green Tomato Relish
- 2 1/2 pounds firm green tomatoes (about 6 cups diced)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- Optional: 1 sweet red bell pepper (or a few small mild or hot red chile peppers, sliced or chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
Gather the ingredients.
Trim the stem and blossom ends from tomatoes and cut into 3/4-inch dice (you should have about 6 cups). Combine all ingredients in a heavy kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for about 1 hour, until reduced and thickened.
Spoon the chutney into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover immediately with metal lids and screw on bands. Tighten, but do not over-tighten the bands.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath canning pot, or 20 minutes for altitudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 25 minutes.