Flavorful green tomato relish is the perfect relish for hot dogs and hamburgers, or stir some into your dressing for pasta or potato salad.
This is a great way to use those late-season green tomatoes.
- 8 cups green tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 2 cups onions (finely chopped)
- 4 bell peppers (part red, finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups brown sugar (packed)
- Combine the chopped vegetables and salt in a large stainless steel pan. Cover and let stand in a cool place (about 65 F to 70 F) for 10 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- Pour the vegetables in a colander over the sink and let drain. Rinse with cool water and use your hands to squeeze out any excess liquids.
- Tie the pickling spices and celery seeds in a cheesecloth spice bag.
- In a large stainless steel or enamel-lined pan, combine the vinegar, the spice bag, chopped garlic, and the vinegar. Put the vinegar mixture over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add the drained green tomato mixture and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently, stirring often, for 1 hour.
- While the mixture is cooking, prepare the work area, canner, jars, and lids. See Preparing Jars for Canning and Boiling Water Processing.
- Fill hot, prepared jars and remove any air bubbles with a small plastic spatula, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Clean jar rims and fit with lids and rings. Process in a covered boiling-water bath canner for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove the cover, and let jars stand in the hot water for 5 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|