This green tomato ketchup is a great way to preserve green tomatoes.
- Slice green tomatoes and onions; place in a large pot with pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. If using, put the mixed pickling spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add to the mixture.
- Pour vinegar over all and cook for 4 hours over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully puree mixture in a blender; strain through a mesh strainer.
- Return to pot and bring to boil; add honey.
- Immediately fill 6 sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Wipe the jar tops and threads clean with clean damp towels.
- Place hot sealing lids on the jars and apply the screw on rings loosely.
- Process in boiling water bath in a deep canning pot for 5 minutes.
- Remove the jars and cool completely.
- Tighten the jar screw rings to complete the sealing process.
- After jars cool, check seals by pressing the middle of the lid with a finger. (If lid springs back, it is not sealed and must be refrigerated.)
- Let jars of green tomato ketchup stand at room temperature 24 hours. Store unopened product in a cool dry place up to one year. Refrigerate green tomato ketchup after opening.
Please also see: