This green tomato relish recipe with cabbage and onions, along with bell peppers and green tomatoes, is sure to spice up any suitable dish with its Southern charm. The relish is similar to another popular Southern relish -- chow-chow.
- 1 quart onions
- 1 quart cabbage (ground; about 1 large head)
- 1 quart green tomatoes (ground)
- 18 bell peppers (a combination of green, red, and other colors, ground)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 6 cups sugar
- 4 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- Combine onions, cabbage, green tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and salt; cover and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain well. Put vegetables in a large kettle; add sugar, vinegar, water, celery seeds, and turmeric.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pack into hot sterilized pint jars.
- Seal and process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes. (1,001 to 6,000 feet, process 10 minutes)
Note: Red bell peppers can be expensive, but they are sweeter and add color to the relish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|