This is a delicious rice dish to serve with pork or beef roast and it's a great way to use those late season green tomatoes. The bacon, green onions, and garlic add flavor along with some grated Parmesan cheese. The cheese is optional, but it adds some excellent flavor and texture to the dish.
- 4 strips bacon
- 8 bunch green onions
- 4 green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Optional: 1 jalapeño pepper (seeds removed, minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups chicken stock (unsalted or low sodium)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- Dash dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Dice the bacon into 1-inch pieces
- In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Drain the excess drippings off, leaving 1 tablespoon in the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, slice the green onions and peel and chop the green tomatoes.
- Add the green onions to the 1 tablespoon of drippings and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the green tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, rice, thyme, pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese just before serving, if desired.
- Sprinkle with the cooked bacon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|