Here's a delicious soup to help use those beautiful green tomatoes before the frost. Country ham or smoked ham makes this a hearty soup, perfect for lunch or supper.
Serve this yummy soup with freshly baked cornbread and a salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 to 6 ounces country ham or smoked ham, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium red tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Optional: dash of Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add ham, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, and minced jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, pulse the soup in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. If you want to garnish the soup with chunks of ham, remove some pieces of the ham before blending.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the saucepan and add celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|