Here's a delicious soup to help use those beautiful green tomatoes before the frost. Country ham or smoked ham makes this a hearty soup, perfect for lunch or supper.
Serve this yummy soup with freshly baked cornbread and a salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 to 6 ounces country ham or smoked ham, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium red tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- dash Tabasco sauce, optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add ham, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, and minced jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
2. Working in batches, pulse the soup in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. If you want to garnish the soup with chunks of ham, remove some pieces of the ham before blending.
3. Pour the pureed soup back into the saucepan and add celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
4. Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|