|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||23%|
|Total Sugars 25g|
|Vitamin C 9mg||43%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
It doesn't take much to make delicious grill-baked apples on the barbecue. All you need is a bit of cinnamon and sugar and some aluminum foil for a healthy side dish or dessert for the kids (who are we kidding? For anyone, of course!). Just pre-heat the barbecue, core your apples, spoon some butter or margarine, sugar and cinnamon inside the core, wrap it all up together in some aluminum foil, and you're
4 baking apples
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons butter, or vegan margarine
1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat your barbecue.
While the barbecue is warming up, carefully remove the core from the apples, leaving the bottom intact.
In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
Spoon a full tablespoon of the cinnamon and sugar mixture into each apple, and top each with 1/2 teaspoon of vegan margarine or butter.
Carefully wrap each apple in aluminum foil and place on the grill.
Cook for about 20 minutes, turning a couple times to ensure even cooking. Depending on how hot your grill is, your apples may need as little as 15 and as much as 30 minutes to cook, so pierce with a fork a couple times to see how soft they are.
Always be careful when opening foil packets from the grill as the steam will be hotter than you think, even if you've let the packet cool for several minutes.
Sprinkle with some chopped nuts if you'd like, and enjoy your vegan grill-baked apples.
- Need this recipe to be vegan? Use vegan margarine to keep it vegan. Many people actually prefer the taste of margarine in recipes such as this one, where you'll actually taste it a bit, and aren't just using it to soak up bread as in French toast, for example, so don't be afraid to use margarine instead of butter. This healthy grilled apples in foil recipe is vegetarian and all of the ingredients are gluten-free too.
- For a smaller serving size for kids, you can also slice the apples in half as pictured then spoon out the core, sprinkle them with the cinnamon sugar mixture and dot with vegan margarine before wrapping up in a foil packet.
- A touch of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice would be nice along with the cinnamon and sugar.
- Other suggestions for making grill-baked apples in foil? Try adding in raisins, use brown sugar instead of regular white sugar, or add in some dried coconut flakes.
- Make it a full dessert by serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or, if you're not eating vegan, some fresh whipped cream (or a dollop of mascarpone cheese and a drizzle of fruit brandy or a balsamic reduction, depending on your tastes.