There's nothing more American than apple pie, and grilling out for the fourth of July. Combine the two with the most American thing I can possibly thing of - grilled apple pie! If you want to really wow your meatless friends at an all-American barbecue, try this recipe. Yes, you can cook a homemade apple pie right on your barbecue!
Need this grilled pie recipe to be vegan? Use a non-animal based shortening and just use vegan margarine in place of the butter.
Happy birthday, America!
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour (divided)
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (chilled)
- 5 tbsp. ice water (or more if needed)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 8 cups apple (sliced, about 6 large apples)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (cold)
- Optional: vanilla ice cream
- Optional: extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and salt. Add shortening and cut into flour and salt with pastry blender until coarse and crumbly.
- Stir in ice water, a little at a time until dough forms in a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a circle and fit into a pie plate.
- Preheat charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking at 400 F.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a separate large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice (to prevent the apples from turning brown). Then add the sugar/flour/spice mixture to the apples and toss to coat the apple slices with the spice mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour with the brown sugar. Add the pieces of butter, and cut in with a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet, and bake over indirect heat until the apples are tender and bubbly, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove the pie and let sit for at least 10 minutes to cool before serving.
- Serve with generous scoops of ice cream and slices of extra sharp Cheddar cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|