|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 to 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Don't be scared off by the fact that this Greek dish requires whole baby octopus. The rich, meltingly tender taste of the marinated octopus mixed with the smoky taste of the grill makes believers out of skeptics. It's a great seafood dish to prepare when the weather gets hot.
Click Play to See This Grilled Baby Octopus With Lemon Recipe Come Together
- 1 pound baby octopus (thawed if frozen)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (finely chopped; or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves (ground)
- 3 cloves garlic (mashed)
- Garnish: 2 lemons (cut into wedges)
Gather the ingredients.
In a plastic bag or container with a tight-fitting lid, place the octopus, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper, oregano, cloves, and garlic.
Massage the marinade into the octopus and put it in the fridge for 24 hours to marinade. Massage it periodically during the marinating phase.
Fire up the grill. If you have a gas or charcoal grill, it is vital that you add some kind of wood smoke. Without it, the dish becomes far less interesting.
While the grill is heating, skewer the little octopi. It's a good thing if some of the herbs or garlic from the marinade sticks to the octopus, but not essential.
Grill over the smoky fire, covered, for 3 minutes.
Turn them over and grill for 3 minutes more.
Serve while still hot with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy.
- Choose a favorite hardwood to create the smoke. Use soaked wood chunks, placing them on charcoal or in a grill-safe container on a gas grill.
- One easy option is to soak hickory sawdust overnight, dump it into a makeshift bowl made from heavy-duty foil, and place that on the grill.