By grilling this meatloaf, you get loads of extra flavor. The trick is to place the meatloaf on a couple of sheets of aluminum foil to hold it all together and to grill it indirectly to prevent the bottom from burning. This is particularly delicious when grilled over a charcoal fire.
- 2 pounds/900 g ground beef
- 1 cup/240 mL bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup/120 mL cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL onion (pureed, or 1/3 cup/80 mL finely chopped onion)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt (less if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL cayenne
- 2 slices bacon (cut in half)
- For the Meatloaf Topper
- 1/3 cup/80 mL ketchup
- 1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL nutmeg powder
- Optional: 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat and prepare for indirect grilling.
- Stack foil one piece on top of the other and make sure to keep this close to where you will be mixing the meatloaf ingredients.
- Place ground meat in a deep mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs, egg, cheese, onion, garlic, spices and mix thoroughly by hand.
- Place meat mixture onto foil and shape into an even loaf. Wash hands.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ingredients for the meatloaf topper.
- Once the meatloaf topper ingredients are combined, spoon the sauce on top of the meatloaf. Spread evenly over the top and sides of meat.
- Cover the meatloaf with bacon strips (should be 4 smaller slices).
- Fold the corners of foil to create a pan. Creating the pan will help keep any juices or melted cheese from reaching the grill.
- Place meatloaf on the grill and cook for 1 hour over indirect heat.
- Make sure to check after 45-50 minutes for doneness (an internal temperature between 165-170 F, in the thickest part of meatloaf).
- Once cooked through, remove from heat and place onto a cutting board.
- Let sit for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with a nice helping of mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|