|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||44%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
By grilling this meatloaf, you get loads of extra flavor. The trick is to place the meatloaf on a couple of sheets of aluminum foil to hold it all together and to grill it indirectly to prevent the bottom from burning. This is particularly delicious when grilled over a charcoal fire.
- 2 pounds/900 grams ground beef
- 1 cup/240 milliliter bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup/120 milliliter cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup/60 milliliter onion (pureed, or 1/3 cup/80 milliliter finely chopped onion)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons/30 milliliter dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliter salt (less if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliter black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 milliliter cayenne
- 2 slices bacon (cut in half)
- For the Meatloaf Topper
- 1/3 cup/80 milliliter ketchup
- 1/4 cup/60 milliliter brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliter mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliter nutmeg powder
- Optional: 2 to 3 dashes hot sauce
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat grill for medium-high heat and prepare for indirect grilling.
Stack foil one piece on top of the other and make sure to keep this close to where you will be mixing the meatloaf ingredients.
Place ground meat in a deep mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs, egg, cheese, onion, garlic, spices and mix thoroughly by hand.
Place meat mixture onto foil and shape into an even loaf. Wash hands.
In a medium bowl, mix the ingredients for the meatloaf topper.
Once the meatloaf topper ingredients are combined, spoon the sauce on top of the meatloaf. Spread evenly over the top and sides of meat.
Cover the meatloaf with bacon strips (should be 4 smaller slices).
Fold the corners of foil to create a pan. Creating the pan will help keep any juices or melted cheese from reaching the grill.
Place meatloaf on the grill and cook for 1 hour over indirect heat.
Make sure to check after 45 to 50 minutes for doneness (an internal temperature between 165 to 170 F, in the thickest part of meatloaf).
Once cooked through, remove from heat and place onto a cutting board.
Let sit for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with a nice helping of mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables.